Saturday, May 18, 2013

Live Update

Man. My last live album review was in November of 2009. I was just starting work in Reno, at my first job. Nearly four years later I've more than doubled my album collection, so far as live albums go, and present here, in no real order, my top 15. These are organized both on overall excellence, but also on diversity of venue and sound. Live performances, after all, range from the coffe house to the bar, the stadium to the concert hall.

Muddy Waters, Blues - At Newport 1960
BB King, Blues - Live at the Regal
Johnny Cash, Country - At Folsom Prison
Townes Van Zandt, Country - Live at the Old Quarter, Houston
Tim Buckley, Folk - Dream Letter: Live in London
Phil Ochs, Folk - There and Now: Live in Vancouver
Pete Seeger, Folk - We Shall Overcome
Keith Jarrett, Jazz - The Koln Concert
Benny Goodman, Jazz - The Legendary Carnegie Hall Concert of 1938
Bill Evans Trio, Jazz - Sunday at the Village Vanguard
James Brown, R&B - Live at the Apollo
James Booker, R&B - New Orleans Piano Wizard: Live!
Allman Brothers, Rock - At Fillmore East
Various, Rock - Concert for Bangladesh
Nirvana, Rock - MTV Unplugged in New York

Happy listening.

No comments: