Monday, November 21, 2016

Flickr

Way back in 2008, in a context I don't quite remember, I did a Flickr challenge, to create a mosaic of images:


that represent you. I always liked this mosaic, and found it oddly accurate. I feel the above do represent me. You had to use an image that popped up on the first page of Flickr, based on twelve questions. Each square was filled out thus, top to bottom, left to right:

Name? Ross
Favorite food? Carnitas burrito
Favorite place? San Francisco
Favorite color? Blue / Orange
Celebrity crush? Claudia Cardinale
Favorite drink? Hot chocolate flight
Dream vacation? Bahia, Brazil
Favorite dessert? Cherry pie
Who you want to be when you grow up? Emperor of the United States
What do you love most in life? Laughter
One word to describe you? Perfect
Flickr name (or in my case, blog name)? Poking Badgers with Spoons

Eight years later I voyaged back to Flickr to see what had changed and make a new mosaic, preserving the original images when possible. For the sake of the exercise the same answers were kept as from before, even if they've changed, and I scrolled down the images until the scroll bar reformatted it's size, deciding that distance as equal to "the first page". Here is what followed:


So the hot chocolate flight, Emperor Norton, and Poking Badgers with Spoons remained the same.

To be honest, I prefer the 2008 version more. There is a nicer symmetry to the tiling of the earlier set. Still, an amusing, albeit pointless, exercise in fads revisited.

No comments: