Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Most Celebrated Popular Musicians

In determining who the best popular musicians are - most skillful, innovative, and popular - I went ahead and began looking at superlatives. Which artists showed up on 'Best of' lists, again and again? Which had been inducted into Halls of Fame? Which had received national honors?

From this I made a basic scoring rubric, and began adding up points:


The only issue I then ran into was what about solo careers? This ended up being fairly subjective - for example I think Diana Ross had a significant solo career separate from The Supremes. But Ringo Starr... Well, I count his achievements under The Beatles. Feel free to disagree. I also didn't include musicians whose singing is only found in movies or theater, such as Julie Andrews or Fred Astaire. 

That said, here's the top 126 popular musical artists (anyone who scored at least a 3). 



No comments: