Wednesday, February 28, 2024

NaNoReMo 2024

Once again - it's National Novel Reading Month!

(Or, at least, it will be on Friday, March 1st.)

National Novel Reading Month - thought up and/or popularized by John Wiswell (whose own novel is debuting the month after) - is a time to read a novel or author you've long meant to get to. Usually some classic that you've wanted to read but just never found the time... In March you set aside excuses and, before the month is out, read it.

I've just completed two major reading goals, so it's an odd time to contemplate classics. I finished Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio, the last of the 80-set Penguin Little Black Classics. I also finished A Dance to the Music of Time, the epic twelve-volume novel by Anthony Powell, which I began reading eleven years ago. As far as my 2024 reading accomplishments go, I'm doing really well.

So this year, for March, I've decided to read an author I've long meant to get to - Octavia E. Butler. One of America's best sci-fi authors, I've put her off for too long. This will also be the perfect time to read the novel I've chosen, Parable of the Sower, since it's set in a dystopian 2024, when America is on the brink of collapse...

Happy NaNoReMo (almost!) and happy reading!

No comments: