Saturday, March 1, 2014

NaNoReMo 2014

March has been designated as this year's National Novel Reading Month. The tradition started over on the fine Bathroom Monologues website a few years ago. The basic idea is this:

1. Pick a novel you've been putting off, preferably some classic
2. Read it by the end of the month
3. Share your progress and such on your blog or with friends

This year I have chosen Honore de Balzac's 'Old Goirot' for my novel. It has been sitting on my shelf for almost six years, since 2008, and I've never read anything by Balzac. With this accomplishment I will have read, along with Chaucer and Rabelais, all three of the authors the good people of River City disapprove of.

Balzac. Photo taken a few years after writing 'Old Goirot'

I am also trying to polish off the back half of 'The Tale of Genji' and the last hundred pages of 'The Adventures of Augie March' this month, so I'm rather glad 'Goirot' is only 300 pages. What novel will you read?

2 comments:

Karen said...

Baaaalzac! I haven't read this book, either, but I read his most famous -- Madame Bovary. It includes adultery, which may be what the River City folks objected to. I'll look forward to reading your comments on this book.

Jessica said...

Madame Bovary is by Flaubert, not Balzac.