The Conservative Court, Ladies and Gentlemen!
Note of interest: All five are Catholics. Read into it what you will!
Number One: Anthony Scalia
· Formerly a member of the neocon American Enterprise think-tank
· Also member of shady Federalist Society that would later include Alito and Roberts
· Compared Roe v Wade to Dredd Scott
· First introduced originalism to the Supreme Court: ‘cause what would Washington say about semi-automatics, anyway?
Number Two: Anthony Kennedy
· Supported strip-searches for anyone pulled in by the police, regardless of suspicion of contraband
· Critical supporter of Citizens United saying “the appearance of influence or access will not cause the electorate to lose faith in this democracy” as well writing the majority in McCutcheon
· Was the swing vote that got Bush elected in 2000
· Has stated that he does not consider himself a ‘swing’ vote, and voted with Rehnquist 92% of the time
Number Three: Clarence Thomas
· Sexual harassment of Anita Hill before being appointed Supreme Court Judge
· Refuses to speak on the bench
· Didn’t disclose more than half a million in taxes, claimed “inadvertently omitted due to a misunderstanding of the filing instructions”.
· Clearly has no basic understanding of laws (see previous)
Number Four: John Roberts
· Took a stance against free speech in schools in 2007
· Screwed up the Oath of Office in 2008
· Argued that prison overcrowding did not violate Eighth Amendment in California, which was overcrowded more than 137%
· Supported the constitutionality of wire-tapping
Number Five: Samuel Alito
· Voted to restrict abortion rights in Gonzales reversing O’Connor’s previous opinion
· Concurs with Scalia 86% of the time
· Argued as an Appeals judge that cops aren’t liable if they strip-search a ten year-old
· Has the reputation as the rudest of the nine judges on the bench, often breaking the rules of decorum